Please review the following quick rundown of happenings around Belay and consider supporting our new start-ups with a tax-deductible donation by visiting our online donation page here:
- We're delighted by the successful launch over the last six months of New Beginnings Custom Woodworks, our custom cabinet employment and job training program for ex-offenders. Everything is up and running with sales far beyond our initial projections. We're continuing to expand jobs and training opportunities for ex-offenders as we grow our customers for cabinet-making services.
- Our long dreamed of mattress recycling project has revived in a big way with a developing partnership with a group of entrepreneurs. Expect an announcement very soon of the opening of Colorado's first mattress recycling facility located close to Bud's Warehouse. We expect to be adding 3 employment training jobs for ex-offenders in the next 2 weeks.
- Another business partner of Belay has decided to move ahead with a commercial kitchen business to manufacture several commercial products. We expect to run it out of the Denver jail employing offenders to provide job training and assist in their transition out of jail. There is still much work to be done but we are close to realizing this dream which will create a sizable number of redemptive jobs.
- Bud's Warehouse has enjoyed a great January of sales, the best in years for a traditionally slow month. In addition, Bud's has opened a metal recycling division. We recently negotiated an agreement with a local appliance retailer that should provide 3 semi-loads of working and non-working appliances every month. This translates into more jobs for people rebuilding lives.Unfortunately, we blew an engine in one of our key flatbed trucks.We are seeking the donation of a newer used flatbed truck to help our organization continue to grow.
- Madison Chandler and Mark Smesrud have joined the Belay team to open a coffee shop to employ homeless youth leaving the streets in the fall.
I am reminded that we can not run all of these projects on our own. We are always looking to partner with Christ-followers that have a heart to use their business talents to create jobs for people rebuilding lives.
Thanks for your thoughts and prayer. Please feel free to contact us for more information.